I. General Policy
Faculty members serve as department chairs at the pleasure of the Board of Trustees and the President. Subject to this formal limitation, department chairs will be appointed for terms of up to five years. Chairs may be reappointed without limit on the number of terms, but under normal circumstances the appointment to chair is not a permanent position.
The duties and responsibilities of department chairs include but are not limited to:
- Departmental adherence to applicable governing regulatory policies including those from federal, state, foundations, and university sources.
- Supervision of property assigned to the department whether owned or on loan to the University.
- Oversight and control of expenditures of all departmental funds regardless of source in accordance with the budget and departmental needs.
- Preparation, after appropriate consultation with members of the department, and presentation of budget recommendations and of recommendations for appointments, promotion in rank, and changes in salary within the department.
- Necessary arrangements and planning of the teaching schedule. This involves an equitable adjustment of teaching loads and proper assignment of available assistants.
- Supervision of the departmental program for graduate studies where appropriate.
- Continual consideration of departmental faculty and staff needs. The chair should bring the need for new appointments to the attention of the appropriate officials and should help initiate the search for suitable candidates.
- Leadership in developing departmental morale, together with such other activities as will serve to coordinate the activities of the various members of the department among themselves and with other departments of the University.
Appointments as department chairs are on a year-around basis. Assignments during the summer recess will generally be less time consuming than the academic year. However, chairs will be required to spend varying amounts of time based on the nature of business to be conducted in their department.
In the exercise of his or her duties, each department chair will deal on routine matters with various administrative officials, as appropriate. In all extraordinary cases, including specifically all matters to be presented eventually for approval by the President and/or the Board of Governors, a chair will consult with and make his or her recommendations through the dean having cognizance of his or her department.
VI. Responsible Official and Key Offices to Contact Regarding the Policy and its Implementation
Reponsible Official: Provost
January 25, 1995
January 7, 2018