I. General Policy
This policy applies to all Rice University faculty and staff who are eligible for benefits
Retirees are individuals who leave the University's employ at the conclusion of a minimum of ten consecutive years of benefits-eligible service and for whom the sum of age and length of service is at least 65.
Being a retiree of Rice University entitles an individual to certain benefits and privileges that may change from time to time. Examples of such privileges are the following:
- Participation at their cost in the University Medical Plans for the retiree and dependents covered at the time of retirement according to conditions set by the insurance carriers and the University,
- The opportunity to audit courses at Rice and remission of tuition for dependents as provided by the relevant policies,
- Membership in the Faculty Club, with approval of the Faculty Club Board,
- Use of Gymnasium facilities, with the approval of the Department of Human Performance and Health Science,
- Rice University "Faculty/Staff, Retired" identification cards for the retiree and spouse,
- Book check out privileges at Fondren Library with Rice University "Faculty/Staff, Retired" identification card,
- Special rates on season tickets to Rice athletic events as issued by the Athletic Department,
- University Faculty/Staff Directory listing under the appropriate heading,
- Regular faculty/staff discounts on non-credit School of Continuing Studies courses, and
- Access to the Internet and e-mail with a Rice account according to established procedures in Information Technology.
Retirees who have served 20 years or more or deceased faculty and staff who meet the same criterion are further recognized by a tree planted on campus and dedicated in their honor. Covered dependents of deceased employees who would have qualified for retiree benefits may continue purchasing Rice group health insurance coverage as dependents of deceased retirees.
II. Responsible Official and Key Offices to Contact Regarding the Policy and its Implementation
Responsible Official: Vice President for Administration
Key Office: Human Resources
January 25, 2018
Policies No. 422-96 dated March 19, 1996 November, 1996